DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.18203/2349-2902.isj20204145

Role of carbon dioxide laser in the treatment of oral leukoplakia

Pankaj Kshirsagar, Prabhat B. Nichkaode, Dipti A. Patil, Balajiprathep Santhan

Abstract


The aim of the present study is to evaluate the treatment results of carbon dioxide (CO2) laser vaporisation in the well-defined cohort patients with oral leukoplakia. The group consisted of 20 patients. Before treatment, a clinical photograph and an incisional biopsy were performed in all the cases. Also, post treatment results were documented with clinical photographs. The mean follow-up period was 12 months. 18 out of 20 patients treated for cure (90%) achieved local control after one treatment. The remaining 2 patients required (10%) 2nd and 3rd vaporisations. The rate of malignant transformation after CO2 laser treatment is found to be 2.27% which is comparable to the other studies. CO2 laser vaporisation in the treatment of oral leukoplakia lesions is an excellent procedure in not only preventing the local recurrence and the malignant transformation but also in preventing the post-operative dysfunction. It is a time saving procedure with a negligible intra operative bleeding. The wound healing procedure after CO2 laser is extremely good causing the least post procedure morbidity.


Keywords


Oral leukoplakia, CO2 laser vaporisation, Malignant transformation

Full Text:

PDF

References


Petti S. Pooled estimate of world leukoplakia prevalence: a systematic review. Oral Oncol. 2003;39(8):770-80.

Frame JW. Recent progress with the CO2 laser in oral surgery. Int. Congress Series. 2003;1248:3-7.

Ishii J, Fujita K, Komori T. Laser Surgery as a treatment for oral leukoplakia. Oral Oncol. 2003;39:759-69.

Novakovic D, Rickert S, Blitzer A. Office based laser treatment of oral premalignant lesions. Operative techniques in Otolaryngology. 2011;22:159-64.

Jerjes W, Hamdoon Z, Hopper C. CO2 lasers in the management of potentially malignant and malignant oral disorders. J Head Neck Oncol. 2012;4:17.

Abraham RJ, Lankupalli AS. Laser Management of intra oral soft tissue lesions - A Review of Literature. IOSR J Dent Med Sc. 2014;13:59-64.

Asnaashari M, Zadsirjan S. Application of laser in oral surgery. J Lasers Med Sci. 2014;5:97-107.

Van der Waal I. Potentially malignant disorders of the oral and oropharyngeal mucosa; terminology, classification and present concepts of management. Oral Oncol. 2009;45:317-23.

Vivek V, Jayasree RS, Balan A, Sreelatha KT, Gupta AK. Three-year follow-up of oral leukoplakia after neodymiumyttrium aluminium garnet (Nd:YAG) laser surgery. Lasers Med Sci. 2008;23:375-9.

Warnakulasuriya S, Johnson NW, van der Waal I. Nomenclature and classification of potentially malignant disorders of the oral mucosa. J Oral Pathol Med. 2007;36:575-80.

Yang SW, Tsai CN, Lee YS, Chen TA. Treatment outcome of dysplasic oral leukoplakia with carbon dioxide laserdemphasis on the factors affecting recurrence. J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2011;69:78-87.

van der Waal I. Oral potentially malignant disorders: is malignant transformation predictable and preventable? Med Oral Patol Oral Cir Bucal. 2014;19(4):386-90.

Warnakulasuriya S. Clinical features and presentation of oral potentially malignant disorders. Oral Surg Oral Med Pathol Radiol. 2018;125(6):582-90.

Ganesh D, Sreenivasan P, Ohman J, Wallström M, Braz-Silva PH, Giglio D. Potentially malignant Oral disorders and cancer transformation. Anticancer Res. 2018;38(6):3223-9.