Association of hyperlipidemia with lymph node metastasis in early gastric carcinoma

Dhiraj Kumar, Anil Negi, Sushanta Kumar Das

Abstract


Background:The aim of this study was to see association between pre-operative serum lipid profile and the nodal status of early gastric carcinoma.

Methods:It was a retrospective study. Seventy newly diagnosed patients of early gastric carcinoma admitted in the department of general surgery in a tertiary care teaching hospital over a duration of two years, were included in the study. Fasting serum level of total cholesterol and triglyceride were estimated in patients   who were proven to have early gastric carcinoma on histopathological examination (HPE).

Results:Forty six (65.71%) patients had deranged lipid profile. Of these 38 were males and 8 were females. The study showed that 17 male patients had lipid levels in normal range and of these 10 (58.82%) patients had lymph node involvement; while remaining 7 (41.18%) did not have lymph node involvement. Remaining 38 male patients had elevated lipid levels of whom 30 (78.95%) patients had lymph node involvement, while remaining 8 patients did not have lymph node involvement. Eight female patients had elevated lipid levels and suffered from gastric carcinoma, of which 5 (62.5%) had lymph node involvement and rest 3 (37.5%) had no lymph node involvement.

Conclusions:Deranged serum lipid levels favour the development of lymph node metastasis in patients with early gastric carcinoma.


Keywords


Gastric, Carcinoma, Deranged lipid, Lymph node

Full Text:

PDF

References


Parkin DM, Bray FI, Devesa SS. Cancer burden in the year 2000. The global picture. Eur J Cancer. 2001;37(Suppl 8):S64-6.

Ahn YO, Park BJ, Yoo KY, Kim NK, Heo DS, Lee JK, et al. Incidence estimation of stomach cancer among Koreans. J Korean Med Sci. 1991;6:7-14.

Yamamoto S. Stomach cancer incidence in the world. Jpn J Clin Oncol. 2001;31:471.

Pavithran K, Doval DC, Pandey KK. Gastric cancer in India. Gastric Cancer. 2002;5:240-3.

Yeole BB. Trends in cancer incidence in esophagus, stomach, colon, rectum and liver in males in India. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev. 2008;9:97-100.

Satyanarayana L, Asthana S. Life time risk for development of ten major cancers in India and its trends over the years 1982 to 2000. Indian J Med Sci. 2008;62:35-44.

Rastogi T, Devesa S, Mangtani P, Mathew A, Cooper N, Kao R, et al. Cancer incidence rates among South Asians in four geographic regions: India, Singapore, UK and US. Int J Epidemiol. 2008;37:147-6.

Fraziska B, Barrie P, Heike M, Almut S. Hooked on fat: the role of lipid synthesis in cancer metabolism and tumour development. Dis Model Mech. 2013 Nov;6(6):1353-63.

Huang M, Narita S, Numakura K, Tsuruta H, Saito M, Inoue T, et al. A high-fat diet enhances proliferation of prostate cancer cells and activates MCP-1/CCR2 signaling. Prostate. 2012 Dec;72(16):1779-88.

Blank MM, Wentzensen N, Murphy MA, Hollenbeck A, Park Y. Dietary fat intake and risk of ovarian cancer in the NIH-AARP diet and health study. Br J Cancer. 2012;106:596-602.

Rockenbach G, Di Pietro PF, Ambrosi C, Boaventura BC, Vieira FG, Crippa CG, et al. Dietary intake and oxidative stress in breast cancer: before and after treatments. Nutr Hosp. 2011;26:737-44.

Perse M, Injac R, Štrukelj B, Cerar A. High fat mixed lipid diet modifies protective effects of exercise on 1,2 dimethylhydrazine induced colon cancer in rats. Technol Cancer Res Treat. 2012;11:289-99.

Mishra D, Singh HP. Kuppuswamy’s socioeconomic status scale - a revision. Indian J Pediatr. 2003;70:273-4.

Kitayama J, Hatano K, Kaisaki S, Suzuki H, Fujii S, Nagawa H. Hyperlipidemia is positively correlated with lymph node metastasis in man with early gastric cancer. Br J Surg. 2004;91:191-8.

Gupta R, Prakash H, Kaul V. Cholesterol lipoproteins, triglycerides, rural-urban differences and prevalence of dyslipidemia among males in Rajasthan. J Assoc Physicians India. 1997;45:275-9.