DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.18203/2349-2902.isj20190553

Clinical outcome following duraplasty in type 1 Arnold Chiari malformation

Guruprasad Bettaswamy, Rajesh R. Raykar, Rajesh Kumar Singh, Mahendra M.

Abstract


Background: Few authors support the use of duraplasty and few authors have reported a higher rate of complications associated with the same. The objective of the present endeavor was to study clinical outcome following duraplasty in type 1 Arnold Chiari malformation.

Methods: Retrospectively, 24 cases and prospectively 18 cases diagnosed and operated for Chiari malformation type I were included. Patients with Chiari type II, III, and IV were excluded. A questionnaire was used to assess the improvement in neck pain and disability due to it, head pain and disability due to it and improvement in general health before and one year after surgery. The results of the questionnaire of both groups were analyzed and compared.

Results: The most common age group of presentation was 2nd decade (35.71%) followed by 3rd decade (26.19%). The male to female ratio was 1.2:1. The most common presenting complaint was sensory disturbances (66.66%) followed by neck pain in 14 patients (33.33%). The most common sign was limb weakness in 21 patients (50%). 24 patients were operated with foramen magnum decompression with duraplasty and 18 patients were operated without duraplasty. There were more complications in the duraplasty group. Patients showed an overall clinical improvement of 83.33% in the duraplasty group compared to a lower overall clinical improvement rate of 55.50% in the no duraplasty group. Specific symptoms like neck pain showed similar rate of improvement of (88.89%) in the duraplasty group compared to no duraplasty group (80%).

Conclusions: Foramen magnum decompression with duraplasty is superior to foramen magnum decompression without duraplasty although slightly higher rate of complication is seen with duraplasty.


Keywords


Arnold Chiari malformation, Clinical outcome, Duraplasty

Full Text:

PDF

References


Cheng JS, Nash J, Meyer GA. Chiari type I malformation revisited: diagnosis and treatment. Neurologist. 2002 Nov 1;8(6):357-62.

Bindal AK, Dunsker SB, Tew JM. Chiari I malformation: classification and management. Neurosurgery. 1995 Dec 1;37(6):1069-74.

Wisoff JH. Chiari malformations and hydromyelia. In: Tindall GT, Cooper PR, Barrow D, eds. The Practice of Neurosurgery. Baltimore: Williams & Wilkins;1995:1875-954.

Baisden J. Controversies in Chiari I malformations. Surg Neurol Int. 2012;3(Suppl 3):S232-7.

Chiapparini L, Saletti V, Solero CL, Bruzzone MG, Valentini LG. Neuro-radiological diagnosis of Chiari malformations. Neurol Sci. 2011 Dec;32(Suppl 3):S283-6.

Meadows J, Kraut M, Guarnieri M, Haroun R, Carson BS. Asymptomatic Chiari type I malformations identified on magnetic resonance imaging. J Neurosurg. 2000;92(6):920-6.

Ramnarayan R, Praharaj MS, Jayakumar PN. Chiari 1 malformations: an Indian hospital experience. Singapore Med J. 2008 Dec 1;49(12):1029.

Durham SR, Fjeld-Olenec K. Comparison of posterior fossa decompression with and without duraplasty for the surgical treatment of Chiari malformation Type I in pediatric patients: a meta-analysis. J Neurosurg Pediatr. 2008 Jul;2(1):42-9.

Gürbüz MS, Berkman MZ, Ünal E, Akpınar E, Gök S, Orakdöğen M et al. Foramen Magnum Decompression and Duraplasty is Superior to Only Foramen Magnum Decompression in Chiari Malformation Type 1 Associated with Syringomyelia in Adults. Asian Spine J. 2015 Oct;9(5):721-7.

Arnautovic A, Splavski B, Boop FA, Arnautovic KI. Pediatric and adult Chiari malformation Type I surgical series 1965-2013: a review of demographics, operative treatment, and outcomes. J Neurosurg Pediatr. 2015 Feb;15(2):161-77.

Naik BDBS, Prasad KS, Sandeep B, Satyanarayana S. Comparative study of duraplasty and non-duraplasty in Chiari 1 malformation with Syringomyelia our institute experience. Int J Res Med Sci. 2017;5:1325-30.

Zhao JL, Li MH, Wang CL, Meng W. A systematic review of Chiari I malformation: techniques and outcomes. World Neurosurg. 2016;88:7-14.

Schijman E, Steinbok P. International survey on the management of Chiari I malformation and Syringomyelia. Childs Nerv Syst. 2004 May;20(5):341-8.

Tubb SR, Pugh JA, Oakes JW. Chiari Malformations. In: Youmans neurological surgery. Philadelphia, PA: Elsevier/Saunders 2011: chapter 179.

Krishna V, McLawhorn M, Kosnik-Infinger L, Patel S. High long-term symptomatic recurrence rates after Chiari-1 decompression without dural opening: a single center experience. Clin Neurol Neurosurg. 2014 Mar 1;118:53-8.